Monday 18 October 2010

Looking back at your preliminary task (the college magazine task), what do you feel you have learnt in the progression from it to full product?


Covers (Before)                                                          (After)





Contents (Before)                                                   (After)


From the preliminary task (college magazine), to the main task (music magazine), I learnt a variety of methods and tools on the program 'Adobe Photoshop CS5'. 


Before i even started the preliminary task, I already had basic skills with photoshop, which is presented in the cover and contents. I understood the fundamental issue of the 'layers', and shape/font tools etc.


Throughout the process of designing my music magazine, I frequently watched 'Photoshop advanced tutorials' on Youtube, which taught me valuable advanced skills which allowed me more freedom when it came to putting together the task. These skills ranged from a deeper understanding of the manipulation tools, plus 'rasterizing layers' etc. I was already aware of intermediate tools such as the blending modes, and transformation options.


4 particular photoshop tools of which had a good effect were as follows:

  • The 'stroke' tool- I used this sub-option after spending a long while searching for it. The tool made it possible for me to add a black rim around my font, which was fundamental in adding to the image of SKA and Two Tone. I could alter the width of the stroke for example, giving me alot of freedom in how i presented my text.
  • The 'paste into' tool- I used this method to create my title for Rudeboy. I somehow needed to merge in the Union Jack, to again add to the patriotic message the magazine sends. The 'paste into' tool allowed me to place the flag into the font, and alter its position. I am glad that i learnt how to do it, as it is a very valuable tool to use.
  • The 'gradient' tool- This was very useful to me as it added a contemporary feel to the cover. I learnt how to alter the gradient with colours and perspective, and used it as a background for the magazines introduction.
  • A variety of 'Blending options'-  This allowed me to paste in a certain texture, and overlay it on certain images. Such as the one on the contents page. This creates a vintage effect, and adds of course, more texture to the page.

In my preliminary task, I addressed my audience in a neutral tone, due to such a variety of culture within the college. Therefore, with the knowledge of the age range, i spoke in 'slang language' which is used from day to day. On the other hand, with my music magazine, I addressed my audience with much more precision, considering that my audience is a very niche one. 

For both covers, i was aware that my image should only fill 2 out the 3 columns that the page is divided into, with my college cover being filled in the middle and the right; whilst my music magazine filled the left, and the right, leaving the middle column blank for text.

Before my preliminary task i didn't study many magazines on the market- and my naivety is promoted in the two pieces that i created. Yet, after heavily analysing a variety of different music magazines, i began to pick up some interesting pieces of detail of which would make my main task even more proffessional. For example, the note from the editor.


I took feedback from my preliminary task, from fellow students and my tutor, and made improvements on that when creating my music magazine. I can particularly remember my media teacher telling me to have a bold title on the front of the magazine, of which i didn't have in my college magazine.






    No comments:

    Post a Comment